Jew, Hebrew, Israelite
(noun) a person belonging to the worldwide group claiming descent from Jacob (or converted to it) and connected by cultural or religious ties
Source: WordNet® 3.1
jew (third-person singular simple present jews, present participle jewing, simple past and past participle jewed)
(offensive) To bargain, to attempt to gain an unfair price in a business deal; to defraud.
jew (plural jews)
(AU) The jewfish. [from 19th c.]
Pronunciation spelling of d' you.
Pronunciation spelling of 'd you.
Jew (plural Jews)
(religion) An adherent of Judaism.
Antonyms: gentile, goy
Hypernyms: Abrahamist, Judeo-Christian, monotheist
Hyponyms: halakhist, Orthodox Jew, rabbi
A member or descendent of the Jewish people.
Antonyms: gentile, goy
Hypernyms: Hebrew, Israelite
Hyponyms: Ashkenazi, Jewess, Mizrahi, Romaniote, Sephardi
(pejorative) A miserly or greedy person; a spendthrift; a cheapskate.
(naval, slang) A ship's tailor.
• There is an archaic plural Jewes.
• The Jewish community is often defined as having a common religion, culture, identity, and ethnicity, but individual Jews do not necessarily share all of these; therefore, a person might be a Jew by one standpoint but not by another. Additionally, there are some religious groups that identify themselves as part of Judaism, but that other Jewish groups might not; hence, use of the term Jew often depends on the speaker's opinions.
• The noun Jew is not colloquially taken to be a slur, and the overwhelming majority of English-speaking Jews use the noun Jew to identify themselves. That said, it has become offensive for historical reasons to use the word Jew attributively, in modifying another noun (as in "Jew lawyer"); the adjective Jewish is preferred for this purpose. Additionally, the derived verbs jew and jew down are considered offensive, as they reflect stereotypes considered offensive.
Jew (third-person singular simple present Jews, present participle Jewing, simple past and past participle Jewed)
(offensive) Alternative letter-case form of jew
Jew, n. Etym: [OF. Juis, pl., F. Juif, L. Judaeus, Gr. Y Judah, son
of Jacob. Cf. Judaic.]
Definition: Originally, one belonging to the tribe or kingdom of Judah;
after the return from the Babylonish captivity, any member of the new
state; a Hebrew; an Israelite. Jew's frankincense, gum styrax, or
– Jew's mallow (Bot.), an annual herb (Corchorus olitorius)
cultivated in Syria and Egypt as a pot herb, and in India for its
– Jew's pitch, asphaltum; bitumen.
– The Wandering Jew, an imaginary personage, who, for his cruelty
to the Savior during his passion, is doomed to wander on the earth
till Christ's second coming.
Source: Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary 1913 Edition