(noun) a long backless sofa (usually with pillows against a wall)
(noun) a Muslim council chamber or law court
(noun) a collection of Persian or Arabic poems (usually by one author)
(noun) a Muslim council of state
Source: WordNet® 3.1
divan (plural divans)
(now, historical) A Muslim council of state, specifically that of viziers of the Ottoman Empire that discussed and recommended new laws and law changes to a higher authority (the sultan).
The council chamber where this court is held; (by extension), any court of justice.
(now, rare) Any council or assembly.
A couch- or sofa-like piece of furniture made of a mattress lying against the wall and either on the floor or an elevated structure.
A collection of poems, especially one written by one author in Arabic or Persian.
• Davin, Navid, viand
Di*van", n. Etym: [Per. diwan a book of many leaves, an account book, a collection of books, a senate, council: cf. Ar. daiwan, F. divan.]
1. A book; esp., a collection of poems written by one author; as, the divan of Hafiz. [Persia]
2. In Turkey and other Oriental countries: A council of state; a royal court. Also used by the poets for a grand deliberative council or assembly. Pope.
3. A chief officer of state. [India]
4. A saloon or hall where a council is held, in Oriental countries, the state reception room in places, and in the houses of the richer citizens. Cushions on the floor or on benches are ranged round the room.
5. A cushioned seat, or a large, low sofa or couch; especially, one fixed to its place, and not movable.
6. A coffee and smoking saloon. [Colloq.]
Source: Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary 1913 Edition
2 June 2023
(noun) T-shaped cleaning implement with a rubber edge across the top; drawn across a surface to remove water (as in washing windows)
Wordscapes is a popular word game consistently in the top charts of both Google Play Store and Apple App Store. The Android version has more than 10 million installs. This guide will help you get more coins in less than two minutes of playing the game. Continue reading Wordscapes: Get More Coins