bait, decoy, lure
(noun) something used to lure fish or other animals into danger so they can be trapped or killed
(noun) a beguiler who leads someone into danger (usually as part of a plot)
(verb) lure or entrap with or as if with a decoy
Source: WordNet® 3.1
decoy (plural decoys)
A person or object meant to lure somebody into danger.
A real or fake animal used by hunters to lure game.
decoy (third-person singular simple present decoys, present participle decoying, simple past and past participle decoyed)
(transitive) To lead into danger by artifice; to lure into a net or snare; to entrap.
(intransitive) To act as, or use, a decoy.
De*coy", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Decoyed; p. pr. & vb. n. Decoying.] Etym: [Pref. de- + coy; orig., to quiet, soothe, caress, entice. See Coy.]
Definition: To lead into danger by artifice; to lure into a net or snare; to entrap; to insnare; to allure; to entice; as, to decoy troops into an ambush; to decoy ducks into a net. Did to a lonely cot his steps decoy. Thomson. E'en while fashion's brightest arts decoy, The heart, distrusting, asks if this be joy. Goldsmith.
– To entice; tempt; allure; lure. See Allure.
1. Anything intended to lead into a snare; a lure that deceives and misleads into danger, or into the power of an enemy; a bait.
2. A fowl, or the likeness of one, used by sportsmen to entice other fowl into a net or within shot.
3. A place into which wild fowl, esp. ducks, are enticed in order to take or shoot them.
4. A person employed by officers of justice, or parties exposed to injury, to induce a suspected person to commit an offense under circumstances that will lead to his detection.
Source: Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary 1913 Edition
8 December 2022
(noun) the act of transgressing; the violation of a law or a duty or moral principle; “the boy was punished for the transgressions of his father”
Wordscapes is a popular word game consistently in the top charts of both Google Play Store and Apple App Store. The Android version has more than 10 million installs. This guide will help you get more coins in less than two minutes of playing the game. Continue reading Wordscapes: Get More Coins